Subject: (urth) Gene Wolfe Symposium update

From: Jonathan Laidlow <laidlojm at hhs.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:04:46 +0000

Below is the message I have just sent out to those who have 
expressed an interest in attending the Gene Wolfe symposium later 
this month at the University of Birmingham, UK. 

If there are any other lurkers on the list who are interested in 
attending, please get in touch.

Dear all,

I hope you are keeping well, and looking forward to visiting 
Birmingham on Satuday 26th August for the Gene Wolfe 
symposium. I just wanted to contact you all and let you know a few 
more details.

The symposium will being around 11am, and we should be serving 
some coffee from around 10.15 - 10.30 until then.

It will take place in the Arts Building, on the 1st floor in the Dept of 
English at the University of Birmingham. Maps available on request. 
Travel details also available.

Costs? I'm hoping that the Uni will come through with some money 
to pay for food and some sandwiches at lunchtime, which will make 
the symposium free. I will update you nearer the time.

The abstracts for the symposium are on the web in the Ultan's 
Library discussion forum on delphi. If any of you can't access this 
please contact me. The URL is
http://www.delphi.com/ultan

I'm experimenting with the forum at the moment (tho' nobody wants 
to post!) as a possible venue for an electronic version of the 
conference to take place next year. This will allow our brethren 
outside these Isle to participate, should they want to.

You can log in as a 'Guest' and read the posts, thus avoiding 
registration.

There are only 4 papers at present, which is a great shame, so I 
would expect the symposium to conclude around 4pm. One of 
these papers will be read aloud by myself, as Dr Nick Gevers is 
unable to attend due to being on the other side of the world. We are 
very grateful for his participation despite this. Nigel Price and I are 
toying with a round table discussion of a certain aspect of Wolfe's 
work, a certain short story which perhaps we could ask you all to 
read beforehand. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Finally, we would like to thank you for your interest in the 
symposium and ask that if you know of anyone else who might be 
interested in attending to contact them on our behalf.

Message ends.
Be seeing you.

Jonathan

Finally, if you know of anyone else who might be interested
 --
Jonathan Laidlow
Modern Languages Office - German & Italian
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston, Birmingham
B15 2TT, England
0121 414 5996
my email not working? tell me on ultan01 at yahoo.co.uk

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/