Subject: Re: (urth) John Crowley and film

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:50:03 +0000

At 07:20 AM 8/17/00 -0400, alga wrote:
>I think I can enlarge on that. Remember that Crowley has a day job too.
>Unlike that of most novelists, it involves writing. He is a specialist
>in providing narrative to documentary films, a job that involves a good
>deal of analysis. He told me that he seems to hold a niche in working
>with women filmmakers, who are often working with minuscule budgets
>against great odds.

Is Crowley still doing this? I had gotten the impression from some
conversation that he wasn't writing films, but had retired to spend time
with his daughters (one of whom, I also seem to recall, has a crippling
health problem). Am I completely off-base? 

If so, has he done any documentaries more recent than _The Gate of Heavenly
Peace_? I've read the script to that one, and quite liked it. I've actually
seen _The World of Tomorrow_, about the 1939-40 World's Fair, and it's
staggeringly brilliant, and very, very Crowley. 

-- 
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://www.nyrsf.com

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/