Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v029.n050

From: akt <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:25:06 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: <urth-errors at lists.best.com>
To: <urth at lists.best.com>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 7:10 AM
Subject: Digest urth.v029.n050

Wombat asked:

> Is Crowley still doing this? I had gotten the impression from some
> conversation that he wasn't writing films, but had retired to spend
time
> with his daughters (one of whom, I also seem to recall, has a
crippling
> health problem). Am I completely off-base?
>
> If so, has he done any documentaries more recent than _The Gate of
Heavenly
> Peace_? I've read the script to that one, and quite liked it. I've
actually
> seen _The World of Tomorrow_, about the 1939-40 World's Fair, and it's
> staggeringly brilliant, and very, very Crowley.

Well, the night I did the "pre-interview" about six weeks ago, he was in
town to work (all day) on a documentary. Some of these go directly to
television, I gather, so you might not have heard of them. His wife,
Laura, is a documentary film-maker, and in fact gave me one of hers on
tape, "Fit," about the fitness industry. I haven't had a chance to watch
it yet. The one she is working on now involves persons with
disabilities. And yes, one of their 13-year-old twin daughters has spina
bifida and will never walk, except with leg-braces and crutches. She
gets around pretty well though, and certainly doesn't need a full-time
"retired" parent. Besides, during the school year, both girls are in
(different) schools.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Kevin J. Maroney <kmaroney at ungames.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:46:49 +0000

At 09:25 AM 8/18/00 -0400, you wrote:
>television, I gather, so you might not have heard of them. 

"The Gate of Heavenly Peace" was a _Frontline_ documentary for PBS. 

If you find out the names of any of his other films, let us know. 

>His wife,
>disabilities. 

Ah. 

>And yes, one of their 13-year-old twin daughters has spina

That clarifies matters. Thankee, alga Alice. 

-- 
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney at ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction
http://www.nyrsf.com