Subject: (urth) Wolfe's Next Novel: The Wizard Knight

From: Robert Borski <rborski at charter.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:18:10 +0000

Wondering what you have to look forward to once the Short Sun trilogy
concludes?

Here's the early word on Wolfe's current project, tentatively entitled THE
WIZARD KNIGHT, straight from the Bard of Barrington himself:

"The plot in the strict sense is endlessly convoluted. A boy is stolen by
the Aelf and released, wants to become a knight, returns to Aelfrice, comes
back to his own world (the locale for most of the book--it is the midmost of
seven), becomes a knight, sets out to prove himself, does, dies, returns,
and so on and so forth. The theme, much less complex, is the meaning of
adulthood for an adult who tries to live up to the ideals of youth, refusing
to settle for safety and gray comfort.

"Characters include the boy's older brother, the Queen of the Green Aelf, a
demon, half-a-dozen giants, a human woman who marries the King of Jotunland,
knights and noblemen as needed, a dead witch, her talking cat, a talking
dog, a telepathic horse, and a partridge in a pear tree."

To date Wolfe has 1,100+ pages of the first draft done, but cautions it will
require "much, much more" to complete. And he's still hoping to write one or
two more Latro books, possibly after he finishes THE WIZARD KNIGHT.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! Three more Wolfe works on the way! (Well,
eventually.)

Robert Borski

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/