Subject: Re: (urth) list name / PEACE

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:05:47 +0000

So when did the disaster happen, anyway?  I saw Michael's post about
PEACE, then a great silence (but I assumed nobody wanted to talk about
PEACE, which discouraged me from saying anything myself).

What I was going to say was:

I have a hypothesis that PEACE is "set" considerably in the future of
Weer's day--not just after his death, but after a long time, quite
possibly after the extinction/migration of man.  I picture a midwest
left fallow.  However, when I tried to write this idea up as something
other than a haunting image, the suggestive bits seemed merely
suggestive.  The key hints I believe are present are:

1.  The fact that Weer's elm has grown VERY large and fallen in a
storm.  This would actually put some limit on the time, I suppose--the
lifetime of an old elm.

2.  The skull in the cave and its discovery, with the general idea of
the remains of long dead cultures/times.

3.  The Lovecraftian lich, suggesting that Weer and Gold are spirits
called up from the vasty deep (which to me implies a deeper time abyss
than simply a few years after Weer's death).

4.  Finally, the story of the sidhe (with that telling line "And in
time men, too, will pass, as every man who lives long learns in his
own body").

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/