Subject: (urth) Re: Urth and Whorl mailing lists

From: Talarican <exultnttalarican at mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:47:38 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at moonmilk.com>
...
> Please discuss on the lists and/or send me your opinions:
>
> * Is it really necessary to have two lists, or would one be
> more comfortable?
>

Considering the frequency of cross-list and hybrid discussions, I'm inclined
to favor a unified list, myself.

> * Would you be offended or annoyed by advertising inserted
> into every message?
>

(sigh!) well, c'est la vie! Beats no messages at all. Would this require
HTML capabilities on the part of our mail programs?

> * Is the ability to search the message archive for keywords
> useful to you?
>

yes, quite.

> Any other advice or suggestions would be welcomed.
>
>
> Ranjit Bhatnagar
> Keeper of the Urth and Whorl lists

And once again, we are tremendously in your debt.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Talarican <exultnttalarican at mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:47:38 +0000

----- Original Message -----

yes, quite.

---

From: mark millman <millman at us.ncipher.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:58:58 +0000

Folks,

Here's my small contribution to the future form of the 
Urth and Whorl lists.

At 8:23 am PDT on 17 October 2000, Ranjit Bhatnagar 
wrote:

> [snip]

Personally I prefer two, as I find that it makes threads 
easier to follow, but it's not a big issue; I could deal 
with one big list, if that's what others prefer.

> annoyed by advertising inserted

I'd rather not have advertising if it can be avoided, but 
I'd much rather have advertising than no list at all.  I 
imagine it won't be too difficult to ignore ads.

> message archive for keywords

Oh yes indeed.

> Any other advice or suggestions 

Well, this isn't advice or a suggestion, but I'm very grate-
ful to you for running this list for us, and for keeping it 
up even in the face of danger and disaster.  Thank you.

> Keeper of the Urth and Whorl lists

Mark Millman (Nacre)
kibbitzer on the Urth and Whorl lists

---

From: mark millman <millman at us.ncipher.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:58:58 +0000

Folks,

Oh yes indeed.

Mark Millman (Nacre)

---

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 01:20:01 +0000

>to favor a unified list, myself.

I also favor a single list.

>HTML capabilities on the part of our mail programs?

I would say an absolute no to any ads that were not plain text. I 
would prefer no ads, but will put up with plain text ads rather than 
have no list.

>>  * Is the ability to search the message archive for keywords

I consider the search capability to be a very good thing. And, if you 
can include it in the next incarnation of the list, don't keep it 
such a secret next time, i.e., put a link to the search page in the 
addendum tacked onto every message or digest.

>  > Any other advice or suggestions would be welcomed.

See previous response.

>And once again, we are tremendously in your debt.

I heartily second this.

-- 
William Ansley

---

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 01:20:01 +0000

See previous response.

I heartily second this.

-- 
William Ansley