Subject: (urth) RE: Digest urth.v030.n012

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:18:58 +0000

> Re: the five genres of PEACE, good call Adam!  It seems so 
> self-evident after you've said it that it seems surprising
> that we haven't been using it as a mantra!

What he said. And taking it a step further, incorporating something 
of Mantis' and a quick hack at something of my own. The generic 
"topic" is my contribution -- each of the major lit'ry genres has
a unique way of "making meaning," but also a traditional set of
"topical" concerns. The alchemical color and "subject" (my term)
come from Mantis' research a little while back.

 Part Name/     Genre       Generic       Alchemical     Alchemical
 Focal Char.                "topic"         color         "subject"

Alden Dennis   Realism     Childhood,       Black      Guilt, origin,
   Weer       (bildungs-   education                   latent forces
                roman)

  Olivia      Romantic      Romance,        White      Minor work, 1st
            ("screwball")   treasure,                   transmutation,
               comedy        choice                      quicksilver

The Alchemist   Horror      Monsters,        Red           Sulphur,
  /Julius                  distortion,                     passion
                           disturbance
                            of order

   Gold        Mystery      Discovery,       Gold             ???
               (hard-      restoral of
               boiled?)        order

The President Journalism?      ???            ???             ???

This tabular format will look familiar to lit majors from Stephen
Gilbert's _James Joyce's ULYSSES_. I suspect we could add several
other columns. 

I put a query to "journalism" because I remain somewhat unconvinced of 
Adam's diagnosis of the genre of Part 5, but I don't have a better
suggestion to offer.

I don't know much from alchemy, but suggestions for this column for
Parts four and five:

4 -- falsehood, false achievement
5 -- true achievement, the Great Work

I also believe that another "topical" column might be added, moving
from "conflict" for Part 1 to "peace" for Part 5.

--dan'l

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/