Subject: (urth) RE: Digest urth.v030.n013

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:38:33 +0000

Adam wrote:

> > (Any other references aside from the Bogart
> > mention I quoted above?)

And Mantis replied: 

> Well there is that Carole Lombard bit in section five,
> as Miss H looks at naughty Candy in sepia.

Just a weird thought... We know that one of Wolfe's favorite
films (used heavily in at least two other stories) is THE
WIZARD OF OZ; and one of the "devices" in the film is the 
use of sepiatoning for the "Kansas" segments and color for
the main "Oz" part of the film. I don't rightly know how 
(if at all) this relates to the sepiatone photo.

But... Perhaps his life is "Kansas" and his LAD "Oz?" Idunno. 
That doesn't seem to work too well. I sort of want to see 
Part 5, which takes place more in the LAD office and less in 
his memory/world as "Ozzish" and the sepia photo as a reminder 
(souvenir?!?) of the "Kansasish" memory/world. But is it
workable? And if it is, is it workable only by forcefitting?

--Dan'l

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/