Subject: (urth) PEACE & Percy

From: James Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 18:08:41 +0000

cannot re-read *Peace* and engage this discussion. By the time I'm ready to,
you'll be finished.
    So, just a thought, which may or may not be of value. The drifting style
of *Peace* reminds me a whole lot of Walker Percy, especially *The
Moviegoer.* I don't recall similarities of themes, but of course there are
similarities in the writers' backgrounds and convictions, and given Wolfe's
interest in Catholic writers, I wonder if he had read Percy before writing
*Peace.*
    I wrote Wolfe a few years ago, preparatory to my interview with him, and
asked if he considered himself in any sense a "Catholic novelist" or a
"Southern novelist." He answered "no" to both. But that would not rule out
influence.
    Perhaps if noting else, a question to him about this when next someone
interviews him would be in order.
    FWIW.

Patera Nut. (Nutria)

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/