Subject: (urth) PEACE: skeletons in the closet, yes, but Julius?

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:27:08 +0000

Not that I want to excuse Olivia's adulteries, but still I wonder at what
might pressure her to do such things.

We know that she is sexually active (having sex with Peacock and Macafee
before she got married).

We know that her marriage to Julius has an aspect of a business deal (he
has the patent, she has the cash).

Her behavior after marriage seems rather compulsive and excessive (she
doesn't seem happy and contented).

At the very least we might suppose that Julius isn't giving her enough
sexual activity; her trysts are for her own pleasure but also perhaps to
goad him through jealousy (some guys are like that: James Joyce's ULYSSES
makes some lit critters think that Joyce himself was quite titilated by the
idea of being a husband whose wife is cheating).

But what if Julius is actually gay?  Does this suddenly make certain things
click, or is it just another false lead?  On the one hand, there would be
no sexual relations between them at all--and yes, we can easily see how
this could lead her to over-eating, cheating with two men, and exposing
herself to her nephew.

Just a thought.

=mantis=

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/