Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v030.n040

From: Jeremy W. Crampton <seltzoid at veriomail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:30:07 +0000

Actually (though I get your joke) the derivation of "Amazon" from a-maza or
without the (right) breast, although popularly accepted by some Ancient
Greeks (eg., see Strabo 11.5.1) is not attested. Herodotus mentions them in
the same passage Wolfe used to name his Scythian character Oior ("Man"); see
Hdt. 4.110.

Jeremy

> From: "Talarican" <exultnttalarican at mindspring.com>
> Subject:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?If_You're_Going_to_Ste._Anne,_Be_Sure_to_Pack_a_Sweater?> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:51:28 -0500

> I am still awaiting delivery of my used copies of 5HC (1 Scribner's, 1
Ace)
> from that emporium called, in one of your dead languages,  "Lacking
Breast".
> The oddities of your language and culture provide me endless puzzlement
and
> amusement. When I have those tomes, I can search for more evidence.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/