Subject: (urth) Come to Think of It ...Pack Two Sweaters

From: Talarican <exultnttalarican at mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:32:58 +0000

I stand clarified now, 402 Annese days was the length of year for St.
Anne/St.Croix given in the text, and Mantis' analysis aimed to deduce the
length of the Annese day.

All I can say is, either there is something very peculiar going on with St.
Anne/St. Croix' sun, as with our Old Sun, allowing it to be high mass and
large (therefore more luminous), but low temperature, a beast which sits
above the main sequence on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram.

I considered the possibility of coarse "reddening" dust in the sun's
ecliptic plane, but that again should attenuate the energy reaching the twin
planets, effectively reducing the radius of the habitable zone.

It seems there is a class or subclass of star called "subgiant", such as
Rana, a K type star which is 2.8 times as luminous as Sol, with 2.7 times
Sol's diameter but only about 0.79 solar mass. Rana's present habitable zone
is estimated to lie at radius 1.7 a.u. It may be that some such star
could have the magic combination of properties for St. Croix/St. Anne's sun,
but such a star is shortlived and prone to pulsation. The flora and fauna
which occurs on St. Croix and St. Anne almost certainly would have to have
been "imported" from elsewhere after the star expanded enough to warm the
previously frozen twin planets. Could that be the key to this paradox?

The Mad, Puzzled Exultant

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/