Subject: (urth) Momento (OT)

From: Tony Ellis <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:26:50 +0000

While we're recommending films, allow me to add art-house thriller
"Momento" to the list. I would have mentioned it earlier, but I'd
assumed that since it was over here, it had already been and gone in the
US. I've since been told it doesn't work that way for art-house films...

The protagonist in Momento is trying to track down his wife's killer.
Due to a brain injury, he has no short term memory. He has to constantly
write messages to himself, and tattoo the major clues he gathers onto
his body so that he doesn't lose them.

Brilliantly, the short scenes which compose the film are shown in
reverse order. That means that at the start of every scene you have no
idea what's going on or how the protagonist got there, which is
precisely his perspective. Just when you think you've worked out what's
happening, you're whisked back to the scene before, and immediately
disorientated again.

This film nailed my eyes to the screen from the finish to the start, and
has to be the best film I saw this year. Wolfe fans, this film was made
for you.

--
Tony Ellis
On-line Editor, PC Format magazine
01225 442244 x2349
http://www.pcformat.co.uk

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/