Subject: (urth) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

From: Mr Mnemonic <mrmnemonic at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:41:24 +0000

Not a movie, but a nother non-wolfe-related reccomendation ^-^

Do Androids Deam of Electric Sheep, by Phillip K. Dick is an astounding
book.  While the style of writing does differ from that of Wolfe's, just
about everyone that I've given this book to has said they loved it.  I would
assume that any of you scifi fiends out there like me have already read and
discussed it, but I'm also sure there are some out there that haven't.  This
book was the inspiration for the movie "Blade Runner", and makes a lovely
conversation piece if anyone cares to rant whilst we wait.

-Mnemonic

P.S. If anyone wants to get a copy, I believe it has now been reprinted
under the title "Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)"

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:48:35 +0000

Dick's _The Man in the High Castle_, and _The Three Stigmata of Palmer
Eldritch_ are even better, in my opinion.   _High Castle_ is just plain
beautiful.  The book features the I Ching, and Dick supposedly actually
used it when writing the book: at points where the characters consult the
I Ching, he consulted it and used whatever came up to help determine how
the plot would go.  

_Ubik_ and _Martian Timeslip_ are also good.

-Rostrum

---

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:52:42 +0000

> conversation piece if anyone cares to rant whilst we wait.

SPOILERS 

Since the director's cut neatly resolved the issue of whether deckerd is a
replicant or not, I guess the Wolfe-related question is, is Severian a
replicant?

What *is* up with the Severian/homoncluous/mandrake in a bottle tyhat
severian considers his brother or something? I've usually found that to be
confusing. Mantis seems to have had some thoughts on it...

paul