Subject: (urth) GW the Spaniard?

From: The Laughing Skull <thelaughingskull at hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:58:50 +0000

**** WARNING ****
This post contains some language which some may find offensive.  While it is
in the context of the subject, if you feel you might be offended, please
skip this post

Hey all,
I've recently picked up a fair amount of the spanish language, and when
cross referenced with all of the Wolfe works I've read, I've noticed a few
interesting things.

1) Severian's 3 legged dog is named Triskle.  The spanish word for sad is
'Triste', very close.  If that dog's story isn't sad, I don't know what is
2) Probably the most recognized is the term Calde, coming from Alcalde,
meaning mayor
3) The word 'Ayuntamiento' in Spanish means "copulation."  Seeing as how the
cause lots of problems for Silk, could this mean that they're "The Fuckers?"

I'm sure there are loads more that I've missed, but I'd just like to see
what the rest of you thought

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/