Subject: (urth) Black beans

From: Tony Ellis <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:50:19 +0000

Jeff Wilson wrote

> ...Who is
> responsible for putting the black hole in the sun?
>

Well, not Erebus and co, for a start. Freezing the only element that can
support you into a solid block of ice isn't much of a long-term
strategy. Neither is annihilating the world you want to enslave. In any
case, we're specifically told in UOTNS that by bringing the white
fountain Severian has helped his enemies.

If there's anything in the books to suggest that anyone is responsible
for actually putting the black hole in the sun, I'm not aware of it. I
have to say it would considerably weaken the whole premise of the books
if there were.
--
Tony Ellis
On-line Editor, PC Format magazine
01225 442244 x2349
http://www.pcformat.co.uk

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:52:32 +0000

> From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
 
> fountain Severian has helped his enemies.

	Could there be factions among the powers of darkness? Since while Abaia
and his undines would be unable to function in the Ragnarok future,
Erebus is already in the midst of the frozen wastes of Antarctica, and
Master Ash gets by.  Ash could be a lower level dupe, of course, but he
must serve something that persists into the icy future.

-- 
Jeff Wilson
How Am I Posting? 1-800-555-6789
"If your SecOp can see you, so can the enemy." -Cpt Law