Subject: (urth) 3 new chapbooks from Sirius Fiction

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at sirius.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:15:29 +0000

New chapbooks!

A chapbook on Gene Wolfe's PEACE!

A chapbook on Gene Wolfe's THE FIFTH HEAD OF CERBERUS!

A chapbook on all the fiction of John Crowley!

Come see, come see!

=mantis=

<Too many exclamation points?! Nah!!>

Sirius Fiction
Catalog and errata sheet at http://www.sirius.com/~mantis/

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:10:14 +0000

> Catalog and errata sheet at http://www.sirius.com/~mantis/

I helped proofread the Crowley and PEACE chapbooks, and I can recommend both
of them (nothing against the CERBERUS chapbook; I just haven't had time to
look at it closely).

The Sirius web catalog says of the Crowley chapbook, "No serious reader of
John Crowley can be without this monumental chapbook," and it's not
exaggerating. Most of the essays are by members of this list (mainly alga),
and originally appeared in NYRSF.  All of these are informative, and most
are fascinating (in the interests of full disclosure, I should say that I'm
mentioned in the acknowledgements to one of these essays).  There are also a
few marquee names: a compilation of John Clute's reviews of the Aegypt
series so far, Thomas Disch's review of LITTLE, BIG, and a preface by Harold
Bloom.  The book finishes with a bang--a seven-page interview with John
Crowley himself (the one alga solicited questions for on this list, but
there's very little overlap between what was posted here and the printed
interview).  Crowley talks mainly about the Aegypt series, and to anybody
who wants to understand or discuss that series, this interview is
indispensable.

The PEACE chapbook is more of a reference.  It has a good essay by Doug
Eigsti, family trees, a map and a timeline; but most of the book is taken up
with two lists: one of characters (six pages long!) and one of various
people, places, things and words mentioned in PEACE.  Both lists have page
and line references for each item: I was proofreading this while the big
PEACE discussion was going on, and I found these lists invaluable for
finding stuff in PEACE.

--Adam

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:04:59 +0000

>PEACE discussion was going on, and I found these lists invaluable for

    As long as we're making commercial endorsements here, I might as well
chime in. I, too, did a bit of proofreading for the PEACE chapbook, and,
other than an unsolicited mention with regards to the timeline therein, I
have no vested interest in Sirius Fiction, so I feel free to endorse these
booklets. Mantis was kind enough to send me the PEACE and CERBERUS chapbooks
last month and I recommend them. I ordered the Crowley chapbook last week,
on faith, because I like Crowley's work and most of the articles were
written by list members. And hell's bells people, they're cheap! Buy them!

Roy