Subject: (urth) Philip Pullman

From: akt <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:45:25 +0000

Indulge me or ignore me, here--it's brief. Comments on this list led me
to order the first two books (now in paper) from Amazon, and they
arrived this morning--I didn't open the box. When I got to work, a
co-worker gave (lent) me his hc copy of -The Golden Compass-, and I,
amazed at the coincidence, said thanks, but it wasn't necessary. He then
reminded me that he had pressed Pullman on me months ago and I had been
hoity-toity about "juveniles." Ooops! Milton epigraph! I think I was
very wrong--can't wait.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: akt <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:07:31 +0000

Almost through -The Golden Compass-. Lapland witches!! That bear!!
Ooooh!

-alga

---

From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear at pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 09:17:41 +0000

>Almost through -The Golden Compass-. Lapland witches!! That bear!!

There are bears?

<borrows son's new book>

It's rather good, isn't it! Why am I here in the office when I should
be at home reading the last two chapters? Most unfair.

I particularly like the fact that the Aurora does play an important
part in the story - very clever. And the alethiometer is a wonderful
thing. It has that feel of something discovered, rather than invented.
It's completely convincing and believable.

Spectacled Bear.

P.S. I've taken the liberty of cc'ing this to alga to say thank you
for provoking me to read this (which wasn't really just because there
are bears :-), and for the background on the witches.