Subject: (urth) Emil Petaja

From: David Lebling <dlebling at ucentric.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:58:37 +0000

> From: "Alice Turner" <akt at attglobal.net>
> What is Emil Petaja's series? The shamaness witch in Xena was a very bad
> hat, a worthy opponent, and the eps (3, I think) were quite thrilling,
> with a lot of wire work a la Crouching Tiger. I don't suppose Finnish
> and Lap mythology differs much, but "Finnish witches" doesn't have the
> uncanny sound of "Lapland witches."

According to http://www.pandorasbox.com/petaja.html (isn't Google
wonderful?) the Kalevala-related books are:

_Saga of Lost Earths_, _The Star Mill_, _The Stolen Sun_, _Tramontane_ which
make up the "Otava Series", and peripherally, _The Time Twister_.

These were all published by Ace in the mid-60s (remember Ace Doubles?). I'm
sure they are all long out-of-print.

> I'm 135 pages into Book 3 and already I feel that the writer is
> flagging. Those critters that Dr. Malone finds with the wheels and
> trunks seem plain silly to me, ditto the giant birds with the malevolent
> poops.

Agree completely. There are some excellent segments further on, though.

    Dave Lebling
    aka vizcacha

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/