Subject: (urth) Edward Kelley; Crowley

From: Alice Turner <pei047 at attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 11:43:02 +0000

>
> For those who are interested in the historical background to the
Aegypt
> books, there is a five-page article in the April 19, 2001 issue of the
> LONDON REVIEW OF BOOKS on Edward Kelley, John Dee's partner, dealing
both
> with his years with Dee and his subsequent career.  I just skimmed the
> article (and I don't remember that much about Kelley from the books,
to be
> honest) so I can't say how relevant it is to the books.

It will be relevant. It will give what is known of the facts of Kelley's
life and then it will speculate on whether he was a scam artist or
someone genuinely given to hallucinations. I predict that with
confidence--there's no other reason to do a piece on Kelley. And that,
of course, is what Crowley is also playing with. He leans toward
presenting Madimi as real, since his thesis is that during a "passage
time" reality is stretched so thin that it is frayed, but he never quite
asserts it; he also lets you know that Kelley is lying at least twice.

> The LRB has a website (www.lrb.co.uk), but the article isn't online,
at
> least not yet.

I would very much like to read this piece when it goes up; if anyone
notices, please post. BTW, my interview with Crowley (somewhat different
from the chapbook, though they overlap) is in the new Locus. Charlie
Brown claims to have added to it, but in a quick skim through it I can't
see where. It looks just what I turned in. Hmm, I guess that's what we
call a seamless edit.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/