Subject: (urth) Nitpicking Bug & Future Wolfe

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 14:11:35 +0000

Roy wrote that the NP

> ... refers to "my inauguration". IIRC, when LBJ succeeded JFK
> he was sworn in as president on the plane back to Washington. 
> There was no inauguration

Ummmm... that _was_ his inauguration. There was no big hoo-hah
with both houses of Congress looking on reverentially, and no
inaugural ball (which would have been decidedly inappropriate
under the circumstances), but it was an inauguration.

Further, if he'd been the VP of a president who died or left
office any time after the two-year mark, he could have served
the remainder of his predecessor's term and still run for the
office twice -- the so-called "two-term limit" is actually two
pieces: you can't be elected more than twice, and you can't 
serve a total greater than ten years.

> I don't remember Ford having any sort of inauguration
> ceremony after Nixon resigned. 

If I recall, there was a ceremony before congress, but no 
inaugural ball. (Would've had to compete with the parties in
the streets all over the country anyway after Tricky resigned.)

> The story takes place during about a six-hour time period
> during the second spring of the NP's term of office. GWB has
> been in office now for less than four months, it is his first
> spring in office, but he is no longer referred to as the "new"
> president. NP has been in office for close to a year longer
> than GWB has now, yet is still described as the new president.
> That oddity is all I was pointing out. The trouble in Spokane
> was a year before. The crash was 7-9 months ago. Lilith
> appeared 5-7 months ago. The murder must have occurred fairly
> recently, since her arrival, and the suicide just happened.

This is all workable, as follows. I'm going to use the 2008
election to avoid implicating any specific living persons:

Winter 2007/8: The Old President dies/resigns/whatever, the NP 
      succeeds to office (with minimalist inauguration)
Spring 2008: The trouble in Spokane
Summer 2008: The crash
Late Summer/Early Fall 2008: Lilith appears
November 2008: The NP is elected for the first time
January 2009: The NP is inaugurated. He is now in a meaningful
	sense a New President -- he will have the "honeymoon"
	period with press & Congress that any new administration
	gets.
February-March 2009: The murder
March-April 2009: "Copperhead." (It is Spring, and about three 
	years before the beginning of the 2012 campaign season.)

*********

> According to Robert Borski, Wolfe's next project is a
> complete-in-one-volume Big Fat Fantasy Novel (around 1100
> pages) with the title _The Wizard Knight_. 

I am ... speechless.

> _Soldier in Sidon_ is apparently next in the queue after that. 

And there was much rejoicing. (Yaaay.)

> I want Wolfe to write an Oz novel. 

You are a sick, twisted little man, and should seek help.

Actually, come to think of it, it might be a good thing for
him to get it out of his system once and for all. Maybe he
could use it as the setting for an Old Sun series. "Severian
Goes to Oz?" Naaaaah...........

(BTW: Has anyone else here ever read "The Eldritch Horror 
of Oz?" Amazingly good-bad HPL pastiche, which reveals the 
truth about H.M. Wogglebug, T.E.)

****************************************

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/