Subject: (urth) RE: Digest urth.v030.n114

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:54:22 +0000

Mantis wrote:

> Jane Doe as Lilith is a very strong thread, agreed.

Don't like it, but have to agree. (Side note -- Lilith is often
identified with the Greek snake-women, lamiae, which adds flavor
to this.)

> Okay.  So the NP beams a copperhead and Jane Doe rises up.

Right.

> Realistically it doesn't make any sense

Realistically, _none_ of this makes sense...

> Meanwhile, there is the repeated trouble in Spokane. That and
> the question of "how long to the next election," these are the
> points that sound like "National Crisis" to me.  

I can't help thinking you're seeing what you want to see there --
indications of crisis are ambiguous at best; I suspect that, if
there's a crisis going on, it's only a crisis for the NP, not 
for the whole country.

I certainly think you're reading-into the conversation with the
security guy.

And Roy wrote:

> Do we get a replay of the Eden story, the same way we got a
> Second Flood in the Urth Cycle? Does that make sense, from a
> Christian point of view?

I think a good analogy here is to the Narnia books -- it isn't
a "replay," but, if God made multiple worlds, how things might
play themselves out, differently but according to the old 
patterns, in those worlds. Like those, I don't think Wolfe
writes to be taken allegorically, but perhaps symbolically.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:26:17 +0000

> writes to be taken allegorically, but perhaps symbolically.

Better yet, Lewis's Perelandra, in which a human from Earth becomes the
agent of evil attempting to orchestrate a second fall on the Edenic Venus.

I like the idea that, disasterous as Lilith is running amok in our world,
the NP, a fallen human, would be a worse threat to unfallen Eden.  (But it
only works if Lilith is not talking about Cain and Abel after all.)

-Rostrum