Subject: (urth) Pullman fan fiction, interview

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:35:11 +0000

A long time ago, iirc, somebody asked if there was any Wolfe fan fiction.  I
did a little research into the question, and as far as I can tell there is
none, at least not on the web.  No Crowley fanfic, either.  But an omnibus
fanfic site, www.fanfiction.net, lists 59 fanfics for His Dark Materials.
The subject matter of most of these should be obvious once you think about
it.  (I'm not going to say more because it's a Big Fat Spoiler.)  By
comparison, as of two hours ago this site listed 13081 Harry Potter fanfics.
(That is not a typo.)

While investigating this question, I discovered that there was an online
discussion on HDM (now closed), in which Pullman participated and answered
some questions.  A few tidbits:

1)  Later this year, he intends to write a companion volume to the trilogy,
to be entitled THE BOOK OF DUST.  It will combine stories set in the HDM
multiverse with reference materials, including an exploration of the
creation myth underlying HDM.

2)  The UK edition of the trilogy had drawings by Pullman at the heads of
the chapters of NORTHERN LIGHTS (the British title of GC) and SK, and
epigraphs at the heads of the chapters of AS.

3)  One of Pullman's favorite movies is CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING.  (This
isn't particularly illuminating; I just thought it was intriguing, and it's
one of my favorite movies too.)

A URL to get to the archived messages is

www.readerville.com/WebX?230 at 28.cptJabwhbNe^5@.ef6c70e

I just finished reading the trilogy, and have some thoughts about it, which
I will post if and when I have time.

--Adam

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/