Subject: Re: (urth) Pullman review (SPOILERS)

From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear at pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:33:58 +0000

At 18:51 2001-05-24, alga wrote:
>"An Almost Christian Fantasy," the review by Daniel Maloney in the
>Catholic journal First Things of Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is
>up. Intelligent analysis, I think, not just religious but literary.
>http://print.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0105/reviews/moloney.html

Thanks for that, alga! I finished the series just last night,
and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't consider
it entirely satisfactory. The plot of the third book is somewhat
loose, but with so much wonderful writing and emotional power I
could overlook that, provided there was a proper resolution.
I couldn't understand why the Dust stopped flowing away just
because of Will and Lyra's love; it feels right emotionally, but
at least a hint of a rationale would have been nice. Her prophesied
destiny as some sort of Eve comes to absolutely nothing that I could
see. As for them being parted, well! That was just horrible. It really
upset me. Why did he have to do that?

Spectacled Bear.

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/