Subject: (urth) Re: The NECRONOMICON

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:32:59 +0000

mantis wrote:

>>Ach, Roy--he got you!<<

That's what I get for not doing the homework!

>>Since LUSTY LAWYER by Amanda Ros is the forgery (?) in PEACE, this is the
one for the invisible library: the others I assume are all real titles.<<

I don't know about the rest, but of the NECRONOMICON, Gold claims to have
"just wrote it" (215),  and that it was "never mentioned in print anywhere
until the providential gentleman I spoke of a few moments ago made the
entire thing up. Now it has achieved reality . . ." (216) So I'm confused.
If HPL made it up, and Gold wrote it, did (does) it exist or not? If not,
who gets credit for it in the Invisible Library?

-Roy

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:20:01 +0000

> who gets credit for it in the Invisible Library?

In the Peace universe, NECRONOMICON is a fictional book made up by HPL
which Gold then "wrote," inspired by HPL's idea, in order to dupe someone
into thinking that the book really exists.

So there are two imaginary titles: NECRONOMICON, a book of horrors
imagined by HPL and Louis Gold's NECRONOMICON, a fake book of horrors
imagined by Gene Wolfe.

-Rostrum