Subject: (urth) Re: The NECRONOMICON, and Time Patrol Alert!

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:48:37 +0000

Roy wrote:
>I don't know about the rest, but of the NECRONOMICON, Gold claims to have
>"just wrote it" (215),  and that it was "never mentioned in print anywhere
>until the providential gentleman I spoke of a few moments ago made the
>entire thing up. Now it has achieved reality . . ." (216) So I'm confused.
>If HPL made it up, and Gold wrote it, did (does) it exist or not? If not,
>who gets credit for it in the Invisible Library?

Might be too tricky an entry for the Inivisible Library.

HPL made it up (in the 20s, was it?) through allusions in his fiction.

Gold "just wrote it" in the mid-50s, presumably building up from the
fragments HPL scattered about and folding in black magic texts to bulk it
up into a book.  Gold, being the master forger that he is, seems pretty
certain that he has made concrete that which was only a nightmare before
(and as I've said before, there is a weird way in which he =has=, seeing
the way he recognizes AD Weer as a shade).

Meanwhile, hey Roy!  It looked to me as if O RARE AMANDA was published in
1954 . . .  you know what that means!  Timeline Alert!

<klaxon sounds>

"Breach in PEACE timeline at 1953."

We have a problem, since we place GOLD HUNT (preludes with Amanda Ros stuff
at library) at 1953.  More research required: was ORA =first= published in
1954?  Is "Lusty Lawyer" a documented case of forgery in our world?

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Has Moved To
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/