Subject: (urth) Re: bee's Gormenghast, alga's gormenGhastly

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:01:25 +0000

bee wrote:
>I hadn't imagined that my negative opinion of the show would be as
>controversial as it turned out to be. Here's another of my opinions. I don't
>think it's controversial, but here goes: Titus Groan and Gormenghast (i.e.
>the books on which the show is based), are classics and everyone on this
>list would enjoy them immensely.

And alga, she found the show Ghastly, unwatchable.

Ha-ha!  I found the book unreadable twelve years ago, abandoning it soon
after the library fire; yet I found the tv show (first half, so far) quite
entertaining, at times I laughed out loud.

I was hesitant to watch it at all, since I didn't like the book, but I also
remembered how I didn't like the most-recent, live-action ALICE IN
WONDERLAND (with Martin Short as Mad Hatter) when it first ran on tv, yet I
liked it when I saw the thing on video . . . which made me suspect that the
commercial interruptions were what was really bothering me the most.

Different people, different tastes--as usual.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Has Moved To
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:08:57 +0000

mantis said:

> Ha-ha!  I found the book unreadable twelve years ago, abandoning it
> soon after the library fire; yet I found the tv show (first half, so
> far) quite entertaining, at times I laughed out loud.

Hmmm...  You might want to give it another try--it's been five years
now, but I recall my interest rising considerably at some point after
the fire.  _Titus Groan_ has the considerable virtue of containing the
best "now it's personal" fight scene in all of fantasy literature.  I
liked both _Titus Groan_ and _Gormenghast_ and still took considerably
longer to get through them that I do most books of that length--I had
to mix them with other reading to avoid overdosing on whatever it is
about Peake...

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce