Subject: (urth) ...sigh...

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:58:46 +0000

> > > Maybe this is why some hard SF people can't stand Wolfe.
 
> > That, and the fact that his stories aren't generally about 
> > problems to be solved by technological means.

> Except maybe "Alien Stones."

Do we have to argue about _everything_ around here? 

(Stumbles backward at the deafening massed roar of YEEESSSS!)

Oh. Okay. Well, then, in that case, may I point out the word
"generally" in my previous post...

Blatt, blatt,

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:16:38 +0000

> Do we have to argue about _everything_ around here? 

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I mentioned that more as the exception that proves
your rule.  It's a nifty engineer's spin on "solved by technological
means" that I wouldn't have thought to describe that way if you hadn't
used that phrase.

And, of course, the story's about more than a problem to be solved by
technological means.

I didn't get the ending (particularly the bit about one's marital status
in the resurrection) until I reread it after the whole Clinton/Lewinsky
affair, which made me laugh when the aliens said "It depends on how you
define 'is'" -- which made me pay more attention to the comment and
realize what they were talking about.

-Rostrum