Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v030.n140

From: David Duffy <davidd at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:28:33 +0000

Dan'l and William said:

> > The fact that TA didn't take place in Gormenghast didn't bother
> > me particularly, in fact I rather liked the weird, science-
> > fictional,  somewhat Kafkaesque world in which Titus found himself.
>
> Puts you in a definite minority among Peake fans -- most seem to

I have to admit, the last time I reread the trilogy, I read it backwards,
and enjoyed Titus Alone the best (I was reminded of it last weekend,
sitting in deckchairs criticising a sunrise ;)).

Adam said
> Somewhere in storage I have an anthology of rare psychedelic rock from the
> 60s which includes a track by a group called, iirc, Steerpike, which
> released a concept album whose concept was that Steerpike was the true hero

At one time in the 80's, there was to be a movie version with Sting as
Steerpike (a la Brimstone & Treacle I guess) -- I was quite looking
forward to it.  The current version is visually good and the supporting
characters true to Peake's drawings and descriptions (has anyone mentioned
the Doctor), but too short and somehow missing the exact tone of Peake's
writing (I too recommend reading _Mr Pye_).

Cheers, David.

| David Duffy.                                                     ,-_|\
| email: davidD at qimr.edu.au  ph: INT+61+7+3362-0217 fax: -0101    /     *
| Epidemiology Unit, The Queensland Institute of Medical Research \_,-._/
| 300 Herston Rd, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia                 v

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/