Subject: (urth) The Hamilton "Night's Dawn" Trilogy

From: PMorris33 <pmorris33 at aol.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:24:58 +0000

<<Regarding Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy (which, by the way,
I recommend highly), you wrote:>>

Yes, I am impressed by Hamilton's "Night Dawn " trilogy too.  I had 
complained to my local science fiction bookstore (Mysterious Galaxy) that 
there was simply no one writing as well as Gene Wolf in this country or Ian 
M. Banks in the UK The manager suggested the Hamilton books.  For some 
reason, few of the local bookstore chains were carrying him at the time.  I 
had to order the second and third volumes from Amazon.uk.com.

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in Peter Hamilton in this country.  
Have you any explanation?  His earlier works, the "Mindstar" series, were 
somewhat glib but pleasant techno-thrillers.  I was amused, rather than 
offended by the resolutely Thatcherite political attitudes.  I'm rather 
left-wing, myself, but like Auden, I will 
"Pardon Kipling and Claudel for writing well"

But Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy has tremendous epic scope and sweep.  A 
fictional universe to lose yourself in.  I would reccomend him to any Wolfe 
fan.

Pippen

---

From: Alice Turner <pei047 at attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:03:41 +0000

Pippen,

> fictional universe to lose yourself in.  I would reccomend him to any
Wolfe

What are they about? And what are the book's names? (And don't forget to
specify "Text Only" for Urth and Whorl in your address book; the format
can't handle html).

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/