Subject: (urth) Silver Chair

From: Alice Turner <akt at attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:29:45 +0000

> From: "Nigel Price" <nigel.a.price at virgin.net>
>
> > On the recently aired subject of juvenile fantasy: I've been reading
a
> > variety of books to my eight year-old daughter over the past couple
of
> > years. She loved "The Hobbit" and adored the Narnia books. She
thought that
> > "The Silver Chair" was the best, and I'm not sure that she isn't
> > right.
>
> That's my favorite too.  Puddleglum is one of my favorite characters
> in all fiction I'd have to say.  And Jill and Eustace with their
> constant bickering are much more easy to relate to than say Lucy or
> Peter or even Edmund (who became rather boring once he reformed).

I think I agree. Though I am unalterably hostile to Lewis for what he
did to Susan. I came across Lewis rather late, maybe in my teens or 20s,
and never forgave him for that cool, thoughtless misogyny. I wondered,
later on, if Joy, his wife, ever tackled him on that.

-alga

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/