Subject: (urth) OT: A.I.

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:40:00 +0000

Anybody seen this?  Anybody have any thoughts about it?

My excuse for bringing it up here, aside from its being an sf movie and
loosely based on an Aldiss story, is that it strikes me as being vaguely
Lupine: the main character reminds me of some of Wolfe's child protagonists
(e. g. "The War Beneath the Tree," "And When They Appear"), and the movie is
ambiguous to an extent quite unusual for a Hollywood movie.

My thoughts, briefly: when I first saw it I didn't like it at all.  But
thinking about it, I found myself intrigued by it and decided to give it
another shot.  Now (upon a second viewing) I think it's an excellent movie,
albeit with serious and glaring flaws.

I do have more to say, but I'll hold off until I see if anyone's interested.

--Adam

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at home.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:15:17 +0000

>I do have more to say, but I'll hold off until I see if anyone's interested.

Go for it. I'm interested. I found the Disney-Pinocchio twists interesting, 
but I thought Bladerunner addressed the fundamental issue better.

Nutria