Subject: (urth) An Exchange of Hostages

From: Nigel Price <nigel.a.price at virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:22:04 +0000

Going through some back copies of Locus, I found a review in the July 1997
issue for a book entitled "An Exchange of Hostages", by Susan R Matthews.
According to the review, the book follows the career of a sympathetic
torturer in a decadent future galactic empire where judicial torture is the
norm. Similarities with "Dune" are mentioned, as well as a stylistic
similarity to C J Cherryh, but there is no reference to Wolfe or Severian.
Has anyone on the list read this book? Is it any good, and does it show any
evidence of Lupine influence? On the face of it, "An Exchange of Hostages"
sounds perfectly horrid, but then, that's what I thought "The Shadow of the
Torturer" was going to be like - before I read it.

Nigel, mildly curious in Minety

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Inire <inire at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 01:29:20 +0000

> Nigel, mildly curious in Minety

I read it, and was intrigued enough to buy (and not
yet read) the second in the series. The story has
little if any Lupine influence, IMO, especially since
Matthews seems to get off on horrid descriptions of
torture, a touch that Wolfe leaves out IIRC. 

an okay read, but not crucial.

-j

=====
Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller      
				ICQ# 57242517
"The idea of verifying facts about the world through controlled repetition seems alien to just about everyone with the _possible_ exception of Fr Inire, and he's a bug-eyed space monster. . ."           -Jim Henley, on the URTH list

      Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!                     
           85 VF500F 'Contraceptor'
           **Specify Type Of Goat**

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger
http://im.yahoo.com