Subject: (urth) Pocketsful of Diamonds

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:16:19 +0000

On the subject of new, or at least newish, Wolfe stories, there's a story by
Wolfe entitled "Pocketsful of Diamonds" which I don't recall seeing
discussed here; it was published in 2000, but I only saw it recently.  The
story is a fantasy story involving two children, living at a foster home,
who visit a mysterious carnival.  It's a bit like "And When They Appear": at
the carnival the children meet figures who offer them knowledge and at the
end they leave their quasi-parental home and go off into the wider world.
The ending is more hopeful than was "Appears," though.  It's a good story, I
think, though a cryptic one.

The story appears in an anthology entitled STRANGE ATTRACTION, edited by
Edward E. Kramer (Shadowlands Press, ISBN 1-930595-00-x; there's also a
limited edition).  The anthology is a rather peculiar theme anthology: it's
based around a sculpture of some sort of supernatural carnival ride, a
ferris wheel iirc (I don't recall the details well), and each author was
requested to incorporate it into his or her story.  Wolfe wisely downplays
it.

Incidentally, does anyone else think it's odd that a writer of Wolfe's
stature seems so ready to contribute to this sort of project?  There were
also the SANDMAN and CROW anthologies, and the Liavek stories he wrote.

--Adam

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 05:03:45 +0000

I mentioned "Pocketsful of Diamonds" onlist last year,
very briefly. A good story--I tend to be guided in
assessing these short Wolfe tales by the strength of
their style; "The Walking Sticks" is written in that
annoying quasi-folksy voice that Wolfe too often
affects these days, whereas "Pocketsful" shows off his
rich, mythic diction rather well. We need more of that
from him...

--Nick Gevers.

____________________________________________________________
Nokia Game is on again. 
Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
all media adventure before November 3rd.