Subject: (urth) spot check Invisible Library

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:53:22 +0000

>Okay, at the risk of cluttering up the list with material that's already
>been posted, here's what I've got.  Any other names for Blaine, the forger
>of _The Lusty Lawyer_, and Kinglake, the author of _The Death of Love_?

Oops.  Blaine is not the forger, Louis Gold is the forger of THE LUSTY
LAWYER by "Amanda Ros": so should the pseudo-author be '"Amanda Ros" (Louis
Gold)'?

>Is that really an apostrophe in Tcove', or an accent?

It is an accent over the e.  In addition, there is a chevron (or
whatchamacallit) over the o.

>  And is there
>anything relevant in "Parkroads: a Review"?

Well, if the Invisible Library has a film section, then "Parkroads" should
be in it. <g>

[snip]

>Author: Gene Wolfe
>Title: Peace
>Pseudo-Author: Louis Gold
>Pseudo-Title: THE BOOK THAT BINDS THE DEAD (or THE BOOK OF THE NAMES OF
>THE DEAD, or THE BOOK OF THE NAMES OF DEATH or THE NECRONOMICON)
>Comments: A spurious Lovecraftian NECRONOMICON by a character in PEACE

Pseudo-Author: "Unknown" (Louis Gold)

>Title: Peace
>Pseudo-Author: Blaine?
>Psuedo-Title: The Lusty Lawyer
>Comments: Another forgery, this time of a book announced but never
>published by the real-life author Amanda Ros (fl. c. 1900), notorious for
>her painfully purple prose

Pseudo-Author: "Amanda Ros" (Louis Gold)

[snip]

>Title: "Useful Phrases" (in Strange Travelers)
>Pseudo-Author: unknown
>Pseudo-Title: Tohish Ablar Sens-Orriyya Ert ("Useful Phrases for
>Piteous Visitors to Earth")
>Comments: A phrase book for travelers, written in the alien language
>Tcove'.

That's "T-c-o^-v-e'"

[snip]

>Title: The Book of the Long Sun
>Pseudo-Author: Scleroderma
>Pseudo-Title: unknown
>Comments: a manuscript on history that the author witnessed

On "Vironese history" might be more clear.

Title: The Book of the Short Sun
Pseudo-Author: (the guy from Chicago--how did that one go?)
Pseudo-Title: unknown
Comments: another manuscript on Vironese history that the author witnessed

[snip]

>Title: John Glaskin (in Bibliomen)
>Pseudo-Author: John Glaskin
>Pseudo-Title: Sixpence for Buns
>Comments:

Obscure British novelist's first novel (1918?).

>Title: John Glaskin (in Bibliomen)
>Pseudo-Author: John Glaskin
>Pseudo-Title: Brideshead
>Comments:

Published before 1947.

>Title: John Glaskin (in Bibliomen)
>Pseudo-Author: John Glaskin
>Pseudo-Title: You Can't Go Home at All
>Comments:

Published before 1937.

>Title: Kirk Patterson Arthurs, Ph.D. (in Bibliomen)
>Pseudo-Author: Kirk Patterson Arthurs
>Pseudo-Title: Fiction in Fancy Dress: John Glaskin et al Exposed (1996)
>Comments: Glaskin a fiction.

Glaskin himself a fiction, created by a Ph. D. candidate.

[snip]

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Has Moved To
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:27:28 +0000

> LAWYER by "Amanda Ros": so should the pseudo-author be '"Amanda Ros"

I must have misunderstood an earlier post.

> whatchamacallit) over the o.

Circumflex.  Here I thought you were French!  (Or a probably bilingual
child of French immigrants, or something.)

But then you probably thought I'd read _Peace_.

> Well, if the Invisible Library has a film section, then "Parkroads"
> should be in it. <g>

Got it.

> Pseudo-Author: "Unknown" (Louis Gold)

The author of the "real" _Necronomicon_ in Lovecraft is named Abdul
Alhazred, so I think this one would be clearest as "Pseudo-Author: Louis
Gold, writing as Abdul Alhazred".  Unless the Lovecraft _Necronomicon_ in
_Peace_ is described as anonymous.

I'll insert another two commas into the list of pseudo-titles above.
 
> Pseudo-Author: "Amanda Ros" (Louis Gold)

Again the pseudo-author has a pseudonym.  Your version makes sense, but I
think it's clearer as "Pseudo-Author: Louis Gold, writing as Amanda Ros"

Has anyone suggested that either of these books might be _The Book of
Gold_?
 ...

I'll include all your other corrections and clarifications.

Oh--any hints on where in TBotSS I should look for the history by the guy
from Chicago?  I have only a vague memory of that.

-- 
Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
http://personals.yahoo.com