Subject: Pratchett and Wolfe

From: Russell Wodell <hse at telus.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:21:27 +0000

Just picked up Andrew M. Butler's Pocket Essentials guide to Terry
Pratchett, and was struck dumb by one of his notes on "Small Gods":

"Brutha, with his photographic memory, and the role of torture in the world
echoes Gene Wolfe's _The Book of the New Sun_ (1980-83) sequence."

This certainly never occurred to me when reading "Small Gods," Pratchett's
most sustained attack on organized religion, especially the Catholic
Inquisition, and I don't remember Pratchett ever mentioning Wolfe in ay
context whatsoever.

Comments?

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:16:41 +0000

> Inquisition, and I don't remember Pratchett ever mentioning Wolfe in ay

Having seen lots of praise for Pratchett on the internet, I gave "Small
Gods" a try but found it so hamhanded and unfunny that I could barely skim
it.  I flipped around reading a few pages here, there, and at the end, but
couldn't find anything I liked.   Do you think there's a chance I'd like
any of his other books, or is Small Gods pretty representative?

(direct e-mail might be more appropriate since my question is pretty
off-topic for the Wolfe list)

-Rostrum