Subject: dual list discussion

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:12:06 +0000

I have a request to make. 

Could everyone who has a comment to make about whether to have one or two Wolfe
discussion lists and what they should be called please post to the Urth list
alone or cross post to both Urth and Whorl. 

I would prefer the former but the latter is much to be preferred over having
this discussion wander off into two separate threads, as it is threatening to
do.

William Ansley

---

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:32:04 +0000

Spectacled Bear was kind enough to write:
>At 04:36 2001-12-10, William Ansley wrote:
>>I think we should have one list, or two. <g>
>>
>>I think the Urth and Whorl lists should be combined into a single list, but
I would like to see a second list for discussion of authors of interest to this
group, other than Wolfe. (They could be called the Urth and Earth lists.)
>
>"Now *that's* clever."  - Wallace, in "The Wrong Trousers".
>
>Spectacled Bear, who thought of the same lists but would never have come up

>with such a good name.

I should have made it very clear that I make no claim to have come up with the
division of focus of the two discussion lists I describe above. I don't know
who came up with it first, but I have seen the same basic idea raised more than
one and more than twice.

I have to admit that I also think my names are clever, but I now realize they
would be a pain in the neck if we ever had to "talk" about the lists with someone
else. ("Did you mean 'U-erth' or 'E-erth'?")

I think Blattid's suggestion, "Urth" and "Sky", is at least as clever as my
idea, much more appropriate and avoids that pronouciation problem.

William Ansley

---

From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear at pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:41:19 +0000

>else. ("Did you mean 'U-erth' or 'E-erth'?")

True.

>idea, much more appropriate and avoids that pronouciation problem.

Poetic, too. Gets my vote!

Spectacled Bear.