Subject: Re: Digest urth.v031.n015

From: David Duffy <davidd at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:18:39 +0000

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 Jerry Friedman wrote:
> > There's an essay by Wolfe about Tolkien in December's "Interzone"
> > and freedoms - the Christian order itself, even if there is no sight of
> > God himself in the books.
>
> "No sight of God" is literally true, but God is busily arranging
> coincidences, prophetic dreams, and stuff like that.  Sort of like TBotNS,
> as a matter of fact.  I wonder whether Tolkien was Wolfe's model in that
> book.
>
> > Curiously, the ultra-Catholic Lafferty despised LOTR because he thought
>
> It's also interesting, at least to me, that as a child I felt a bit
> betrayed when I realized that _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_ was
> Christian propaganda, and I'm glad LotR didn't do that to me.  Obviously
> I've gotten over this, since I like Wolfe.

Tolkien said that he disliked allegory.  As a child, I read his
introduction to LOTR, and used it to justify a literal reading of the
Pilgrim's Progress ;).  Wolfe always has a-not-always-convincing
alternative explanation for the events in his stories, while Lafferty...

Have we been here before?

Arwen = Apheta
Aragorn = Severian
elves = Heirodules
Gandalf = Father Inire
Gollum = Baldanders (has to get that ring you know, or maybe Saruman)
Ring = Claw
Sauron = Abaia

I am unsure who Cate Blanchett gets to play

| David Duffy.                                                     ,-_|\
| email: davidD at qimr.edu.au  ph: INT+61+7+3362-0217 fax: -0101    /     *
| Epidemiology Unit, The Queensland Institute of Medical Research \_,-._/
| 300 Herston Rd, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia                 v

---

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:36:10 +0000

> > as a matter of fact.  I wonder whether Tolkien was Wolfe's model in
...

> I am unsure who Cate Blanchett gets to play

Master Malrubius.

Looks like I was unclear above.  I meant that LotR may have been Wolfe's
model in how to handle literarily the role of God, not that BotNS is some
kind of imitation of LotR.

Jerry Friedman

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of
your unique holiday gifts! Buy at http://shopping.yahoo.com
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com