Subject: (urth) Mother, brother and sister

From: Terence Nickolette <terrynick at centuryinter.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 18:55:29 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Christopher has posed an interesting question.  But would you kind readers
help me to understand the logic (or guesses) that lead to the conclusion
that Katherine is Severian's mother and Merryn his sister?  

In "The Feast" of Shadow, Severian describes Katherine (and the maid who
plays her) as tall and slender, dark of complexion and hair. And he says
"hers was such a face as I have never seen elsewhere, like a pool of pure
water found in the midst of a wood."  He is tall, with dark hair, and with
very fair skin.  A pool of pure water found in a wood would reflect the face
of one who looked at it. GW seems to be telling us that Severian looks like
Katherine.

But we are also told that the annual observance of Holy Katherine's feast
has been going on for 300 years.  "No one from without the guild has dined
with us at the annual observance of Holy Katherine's feast for more than 300
years, when a lieutenant of the guard (so it is said) dared to come for a
wager."  It would seem logical that such an important ceremony would have a
long history.  If it has been observed for over 300 years, how can Katherine
be Severian's mother?

As far as Merryn being his sister, please help me.....