Subject: (urth) Return to URTH!

From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at moonmilk.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 04:23:25 +0000

Dear Urth and Whorl list subscribers,

If this reaches you, then I have managed to bring the new
Urth list online at last.  Welcome!  The new Urth list
replaces both Urth and Whorl.  It will take me some time to
get the archives operational again, but eventually I will.
Watch the web site at http://www.urth.net/ for further
developments.

Now, please, continue where you left off a few weeks ago!

-- Ranjit

p.s. Here is your automated welcome message:

This email message gives you important information about using
this list - please save it for future reference.

There are two parts to this file: the first short part is on how 
to SEND MAIL to the list, the second is on how to send COMMANDS 
to the list.  If you lose this file then you can get the same 
information again by sending a HELP command to the list manager 
as is shown below.    

SENDING MAIL TO THE LIST
========================

To send a message to all urth list members, write to urth at urth.net.
For example:

 --------------------------------------------------------------
       From: Peter Rabbit <peter at netwin.co.nz>
         To: urth at urth.net
    Subject: WHO IS SEVERIAN'S NEPHEW?

    I heard a rumor that Baldanders was Severian's nephew...
 --------------------------------------------------------------

SENDING COMMANDS TO THE LIST
============================

All of the following sections deal with how to send a command to 
the list.  You have already done this if you subscribed to the 
list yourself. 

Commands are written in the BODY of a normal email message. The 
email message is then sent to the list manager's special email 
address:
   urth-request at urth.net

Leaving the list (unsubscribing)
================================

To stop receiving messages from the urth list you will 
need to send a message to the list manager.  For example:

 --------------------------------------------------------------
       From: Peter Rabbit <peter at netwin.co.nz>
         To: urth-request at urth.net
    Subject: <not needed>

    unsubscribe
 --------------------------------------------------------------

If you are still getting messages after you have received a 
message saying you are no longer a member of this list, it could 
be that you are subscribed by a different email address.  
If so, write to Ranjit for assistance: ranjit at urth.net

Digests or individual messages
==============================

You may choose to receive the Urth list as a daily digest, or
to receive each individual message as soon as it is posted.
If you are a former subscriber to the old Urth and Whorl lists,
I have tried to respect your preference for digests or messages,
but if I got it wrong or if you change your mind you may tell
the list manager by sending the command

    digest true
or
    digest false

Holiday mode
============

When you go away on vacation, keep your mailbox from filling up
with Urth messages by sending this command:

    holiday true

When you return, send

    holiday false

and your subscription will continue.  The messages you missed
will be waiting for you on the web site.

Mailing list etiquette
======================

To keep the uncomfortable mechanics of email discussions from 
overwhelming the actual conversation, please follow these guidelines
when participating in the Urth list:

Do not use HTML mail.  Many of us use mail programs that don't
understand HTML, and the mysterious codes just clutter up our
inboxes.  Most email programs have an option to turn off HTML.
For example, in Outlook Express, after choosing the Tools / Options 
menu you will find it under the Send tab.

Keep quotations brief.  When you are replying to another message
in the list, please include only the least portion of the original
message necessary to establish the context of your reply.  Your 
readers can always refer to the original in the archives or digests
to see the rest.  If you are a digest subscriber, be especially
careful that you do not accidentally quote an entire digest!

Avoid automatic messages.  If you are going on vacation and have a
program that automatically replies for you, please unsubscribe
from the Urth list or put it in holiday mode while you are away,
so that your vacation message doesn't get posted to the list.

Spoilers:  If you are discussing a plot point of a recently published
work of fiction-- say, one that is not yet out in paperback--
that may diminish someone else's enjoyment of the book if they
haven't yet read it, put a warning in the subject of your message
such as "Caution: spoilers for Return to the Whorl."

Most importantly, don't be afraid to dive into the fray!
Thanks for making Urth a lively conversation for nearly five years.

Ranjit Bhatnagar
ranjit at urth.net
http://www.urth.net/
To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to ||list_request_address||
Questions or problems: write ranjit at moonmilk.com

---

From: matthew.malthouse <matthew.malthouse at guardian.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:18:54 +0000

On 29/01/2002 04:23:25 Ranjit Bhatnagar wrote:

>Urth list online at last.  Welcome!

Thankyou, you did.   Wheeee!   ;-)

Matthew

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:47:08 +0000

1. Great to have the lists back.

2. For some reason, I'm receiving the digest as a blank email message 
containing bunch of text attachments instead of a compiled email. This
is kind of weird. (Actually, I'd prefer to be in regular mode instead 
of digest at this point anyway - I just never got around to changing 
it.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ranjit Bhatnagar [mailto:ranjit at moonmilk.com]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 8:23 PM
To: urth at urth.net
Subject: (urth) Return to URTH!

-- Ranjit

SENDING MAIL TO THE LIST
========================

    unsubscribe

    digest true
or
    digest false

Holiday mode
============

    holiday true

When you return, send

    holiday false

Mailing list etiquette
======================

Ranjit Bhatnagar
ranjit at urth.net
http://www.urth.net/

Questions or problems: write ranjit at urth.net