Subject: (urth) Clute and Universes

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 02:32:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #4282998 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET#

(gee, the place is nearly dead . . . )

Ori,

The Main Point of Clute's seminal Wolfe essay (1986) is that
Severian's mother is Catherine, who is also <drum roll> the Old
Autarch, hence "Catherine the Weal."

Along the way are a number of interesting minor points: contrary to
what I posted before, Thecla is referred to as a "deep sister"
(rather than the deep aunt I misremembered); it is Cyriaca who is
termed a "shallow aunt."

Christopher,

By kabbalah (and these terms are from kabbalah), the chain of
universes should go:

  Briah--Yesod--Malkuth (our universe)

OTOH the appendix to book one (re the translation of the manuscript)
mentions that Gene Wolfe has examined artifacts from Urth, and in
fact has been allowed to visit and photograph the era's few extant
buildings.  Suggesting at first that Urth is within our universe,
just within our future; or at second, that something more wild and
wooly is at work--a brief guided jaunt to another universe?

=mantis=