Subject: (urth) stuff

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:59:39 +0000

Well, since it was recently mentioned that some Catholics miss the old Latin 
mass, I thought I would add that Wolfe is one of those.  I have discussed his 
faith with him a little bit (since we are both Catholic), and he says that 
taking away the Latin mass deprived the church of much of its universal 
community.

I believe Michael stated:
>However, the imp in me
        is reminded of similar things done comically--was it in ZORBA THE 
GREEK
        that the woman determined that the way to world peace was for all the 
wives
        of the military men to refuse to have sex with their husbands if they
  >      engaged in war?

I haven't read Zorba the Greek, but I believe Euripede's Lysistrata is about 
exactly that.  The women get together and refuse to have sex with the men 
until they stop fighting.  Perhaps Kazantzakis borrowed from Euripedes.  (They 
are both dealing with Greece).

Also, race is kind of interesting in Wolfe.  There is the slave in the Latro 
books, but there is also a large Chinese presence in There are Doors and 
Peace. (Mr. Borski and I have discussed the import of all the Chinese 
artifacts a little bit from opposite sides; I would say they are positive 
images.  The Chinese man in There are Doors is pretty stereotyped, but he is 
also a "true brother" to Mr. "Green".  I don't know.  If we accept that Hethor 
is Korean (Kim Lee Song) then that doesn't bode too well for Asian races in 
his text.
I guess that's about it...
Marc Aramini

--