Subject: (urth) Harold Bloom's tastes

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:58:43 +0000

Marc Aramini wrote:
>If Bloom praises Crowley
>and David Lindsay so highly, I can only imagine he would not dismiss Wolfe
>out
>of hand if he read his work (as he dismisses, say, Dorris Lessing).  Alga,
>didn't you have some vague connection with Bloom at one time? (sorry if I
>misremembered that).  Foist Wolfe on him.

My strong impression is that Bloom enjoys Lindsay and Crowley so very much
because their work (well . . . A VOYAGE TO ARCTURUS, let us say, since I've
never seen Bloom mention any other Lindsay but I would bet that he has read
at least a few others, if not all of them) is so unambiguously Gnostic.

As such, he would probably not like Gene Wolfe's fiction, even ambiguously
semi-Gnostic works such as TBOTNS.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

--