Subject: (urth) Addendum: The Two (hah!) Severians

From: David_Lebling <david_lebling at avid.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:59:50 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

If I were a little less tired, I probably would have noted in my
previous missive that the essay whose interpretation I reported on
(Severian as beneficiary of tweaks to the past) was, to the best of my
memory, published _before_ "The Citadel of the Autarch," where Severian
himself gives a modified version of it in Chapter 38.  Even if it
wasn't, I remember it as a remarkably good essay, though unlike
Severian, my memory isn't perfect...

I'd love to see that essay again.

     -vizcacha
     (david_lebling at avid.com)

ps: [Plug] Our very own mantis has an article in the current _New York
Review of SF_ on the "future history" of Jack Vance.  Those who are fans
of TBOTNS but have not yet read Vance (particularly _The Dying Earth_
and its sequels, and _The Dragon Masters_ and its) should do so without
unseemly delay!  He manages to tie the "Demon Princes" books into the
same history as _The Dying Earth_, a feat of mantic virtuosity.