Subject: (urth) Publishers Lost

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:56:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

vizcacha,

Re: missing link between Amazon.Com and Serconia, try Chris Drumm
Books--he is listing the more recent Clute book, LOOK AT THE
EVIDENCE, in both hard and soft cover.  Bet he knows where Serconia
is!

Chris Drumm Books
P.O. Box 445
Polk City IA 50226-0445
phone/fax: 515-984-6749
e-mail: cdrummbks at aol.com

Re: Clute's Catherine the Weal tested by the "Mant-O-Meter" . . .
well, you can understand my bias--how I might not be the most
reliable mantometer technician.  But I believe there is a certain
amount of mantic antic, with textual evidence (often alluded to in
paraphrase; mainly lacking citations, so to trace it all requires a
bit of work).  Feeley's essay presents some text citations at the
end.

Re: your internal archaeology and the lost essay.  No, I don't
recognize the essay, nor do I have a copy.  Yes, I think that TBOTNS
is about something like that at one level, but in my version: the
freebooter did achieve the New Sun without any super help or
hinderence the "first" time; this brought him to the attention of the
Forces of Entropy, who tripped back in time to try and stop him; but
his success activated the helping circuits (Claw, most obviously) that
already existed (at least in potential).

(Your recalled essay: "friends from the far future" would be the
Green Man, by himself or acting as an agent, who appeared in CLAW;
balanced by "friendly enemy from the far future" Master Ash, who
appears in CITADEL, and thus invisible to the pre-CITADEL essayist.)

=mantis=