Subject: Re: (urth) Mahes

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:20:31 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicholas Gevers" <vermoulian at yahoo.com>

> conclusion is shocking, very well executed. A
> question: does anyone know in what language "Mahes"
> might mean "golden lion"? And how it might pair with
> the Greek "Endymion"?

Yes, a fine story.

Mahes was one of the Egyptian gods

http://www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/mahes.htm

Mahes
Other Names: similar to the Furies of Greek mythology being called "The
Kindly Ones," Mahes was rarely referred to by name and was instead referred
to as "The Lord of the Massacre." His name is also found spelled "Maahes."

Patron of: punishment of those who violate Maat, the universal order.

Appearance: a man with the head of a young lion, often shown carrying a
knife.

Description: Another feline deity, Mahes was the son of Bast and Ptah and
may be an Egyptian assimilation of the Nubian lion-god Apedemak. When Maat
was violated, the other gods would work to set it aright, but Mahes would be
sent to punish the one who had committed the transgression. Interestingly
enough, he encompassed his own opposite, and his name was invoked as a
protection for the innocent.

Worship: Cult center at Leontopolis, also worshipped alongside Bast at
Bubastis. The Greeks also worshipped him for a time, possibly aligning him
with the Furies.

--

---

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 06:58:02 +0000

Thanks to Andy Robertson and Robert Borski for that
Mahes information--my understanding of the story is
deepened...

More forthcoming story info: "The Lost Pilgrim",
mentioned in the SF Weekly interview, will appear in
FUTURE HEROES, ed. Harry Turtledove et al; no
publication date set yet. Also: Al Sarrantonio is
producing a fantasy anthology along the lines of 999
and REDSHIFT, and a Wolfe story is slated for that.

--Nick Gevers.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page
from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts
http://uk.my.yahoo.com

--