Subject: (urth) Turanga Futurama

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:20:11 +0000

Nutria wrote:
>         3. Hey! Did anybody see "Futurama" two weeks ago? Leela's first
>name turns out to be Turanga. Turangalila (pronounced Turanga Leela) is
>the name of a 10-movement symphony by Olivier Messiaen (an absolutely WILD
>piece of music, but hardly standard repertoire; a cult classic, so to
>speak). I was astounded at this allusion. It can't be a coincidence. I
>wonder if "turangalila" appears in any context other than as the title of
>Messiaen's "hindu symphony." I've never heard of it, if so. Messiaen on
>Futurama? Amazing. (No musical quotes on the show, however. Still, my jaw
>dropt!)
>

Well I'm glad someone besides me is watching "Futurama"! :)

I had no idea of Turangalila (amazing catch, Nutria!).  I had a vague
association with the movie . . . hmm, what was it?  "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
Where the old woman, telling about her tomboyish youth, gave the
nom-de-tomboy "Tarawanda" (or something like that) for herself, or it was
her rallying cry, which was then taken up by the younger woman when she had
some difficulty in a parking lot (iirc).

=mantis=

--