Subject: (urth) Wolfe filk from Wolfe folk

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:00:04 +0000

Blattid, he quoted Nutria and wrote:
>> 2. I wrote Wolfe a decade ago a list of questions, including what kinds
>> of music he likes best ... He replied that he favors filk, and that was
>> his hobby music. So, SF all the way when it comes to old Gene!
>
>Now, that may be the single scariest thing about GW I have ever heard.
>Is he also a Sherman-Yankovic fan, we must wonder?

I hardly need to mention it, but gee.  And we have such proven talent
around here--alga's paean to Cordwainer Smith "Miyameefla" (sung to tune of
"Mona Lisa") springs to mind.  I bet the filk would brew, bubble, and flow.

=mantis=

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:08:51 +0000

My dear Mantis,

Actually, Wolfe's work doesn't in general seem all that amenable to 
filkification, but really that should be perceived as a challenge. 

If nothing else, I'm amazed that nobody has yet written anything using 
the obvious natural pun (like unto Yankovic's "this here Anakin guy") 
"the dawning of the Age of Severian." But I don't think I will.

--

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:50:47 +0000

>"the dawning of the Age of Severian." But I don't think I will.

My thoughts were more toward using old folk songs. Turning "Greensleeves"
into something like:

"Alas, Thecla, you do me slight
Your final friend, your last boy-slave
When I have loved you from first sight
And will love you beyond your grave.

Chatelaine of Matachin
Chatelaine of my heart bright
Chatelaine of traitor kin
Escape with my shiny knife."

=mantis=

--