Subject: (urth) Old Sun

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 23:02:30 +0000

At 01:09 AM 3/4/2002, you wrote:

>Who is responsible for the black hole in the sun is an important plot point,
>it seems to me, because it bears directly on the ultimate goal of the Urth
>Cycle; the pretext for, and the coming of, the New Sun. If Man, in his
>presumptive arrogance, caused the wounding of the sun, that is one thing. If
>agents of the Increate caused it, as retribution, that is something else
>entirely. I have always adhered to the latter view, and I think the weight
>of evidence from the fifth volume of the series supports that view.
>
>-Roy

If Sev. is the New Sun, and a kind of "new Christ," then the Old Sun is the 
"old Adam." The black hole is a symbol of the depravity in the heart of 
man, which needs regeneration by the White Fountain of the Holy Spirit. Of 
course, it's not just a symbol. But I think that however the black hole got 
there, it is intended as a pointer to the need for redemption.

Nutria

--