Subject: (urth) Re: Unmanned Autarch

From: CRCulver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 01:09:54 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Said Alga:
>Besides, it wasn't the one Autarch, it was the whole string of them.

     Yep, we specifically learn that Ymar and the Autarch's predecessor were
also unmanned, as well as the other autarchs in between. What about Typhon?
     BTW, someone in _Citadel_ refers to the Autarch as "Legion," because he
is many (Biblical reference, Luke 32, I think). Is this his real name? If
not, what is?

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance, that light of fools steers a wayward path"
-Brendan Perry

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:39:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #0147191 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

Correction:

The text tells us: (1) autarchs who fail the Test are unmanned; (2)
there have been autarchs since Ymar, and he died about a chiliad
before Severian's birth; (3) yet only three autarchs have actually
taken the Test--Ymar, the Old Autarch, and Severian.

Typhon was a Monarch, the last of the Monarchs.

The Old Autarch's name is most likely "Appian" (see "The Cat" in
ENDANGERED SPECIES).

=mantis=